"In the beginning was the Word"
- "Then God said ..."
- Gen 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24, 26
- "and God said to them
- Be fertile and multiply."
- Gen 1:28
Speaking a word requires breath.
No breath, no word.
"Breath" = "spirit" in both Hebrew (ruah) and Greek (pneuma).
"To speak" means "to send forth your spirit."
Where the Word is, the Spirit is.
- "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made; by the breath of his mouth all their host" (6).
- "For he spoke, and it came to be, commanded, and it stood in place" (9).
- Let your every creature serve you;
- for you spoke, and they were made,
- you sent forth your spirit, and they were created;
- no one can resist your word. (16:14)
- John's Prologue
- "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was God" (Jn 1:1).