Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Mary
- This devotion originated in the thirteenth century. It recalls the Sorrows the Virgin Mother of God endured in compassion for the suffering and death of her Divine Son. The Seven Sorrows rosary consists of seven Hail Marys for each of the seven Sorrows. One Our Father is said before each group of seven Hail Marys, which are separated by a medal. On the three beads of the rosary at the end three Hail Marys are said in honor of the Tears of Our Sorrowful Mother.
- 1. Prophecy of Simeon
- 2. Flight into Egypt
- 3. Three-day Separation from Jesus in Jerusalem
- 4. Meeting Christ on the Road to Calvary
- 5. Crucifixion and Death of Jesus Christ
- 6. Our Lord is Taken Down from the Cross (Pieta)
- 7. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is Buried in the Tomb
V. Pray for us, O most Sorrowful Virgin
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, we now implore,
both for the present and for the hour of our death,
the intercession of the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Your Mother,
whose holy soul was pierced at the time of Your Passion by a sword of grief.
Grant us this favor, O Savior of the world,
Who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit
for ever and ever.