- 1 Childhood (1952-1966)
- 2 Canisius High School (1966-1970)
- 3 Boston College (1970-1973)
- 4 Novitiate (1973-1975)
- 5 Philosophy (1975-1976)
- 6 Regency (1976-1978)
- 7 Seminary Theology (1978-1982)
- 8 Ph.D. Studies (1982-1991)
- 9 LeMoyne College (1988-1990)
- 10 Canisius College (1990-present)
- 11 Praying to persevere for my whole life
- Second child of ten in a Catholic family.
- Taught by seminarians in summer school.
- Father (later Msgr.) McCarthy would come to visit Mom and Dad.
- I was given a St. Joseph's missal at my First Communion and used it regularly at Mass.
- I put poor old Greg W. to sleep one night while trying to explain the parts of the Mass to him.
Orchard Park, NY
- Entered Nativity of Our Lord grammar school half-way through sixth grade.
- Cried when asked to "diagram a sentence." In retrospect, I was very fortunate to have had a taste of the good old days of Catholic schools!
- Became an altar boy and was the first Grand Knight of the Altar when Fr. Wetter or Fr. Wopperer organized a chapter; got to wear a gold cross.
- An elderly woman whom I did not know said to me once, "I'm praying that you will become a priest." She liked the way I looked in my cassock, surplice, and gold cross, I guess.
- Sr. Margaretta tricked me into becoming interested in Canisius High School, first through the spelling-bee, then through the hope that I might win a scholarship on the entrance exam.
Canisius High School (1966-1970)
- First few weeks: "I'm talking!"
- Joined Berchman's Debating Society
- Sophomore year, talking with Fr. Fred Reisert, SJ: "Can I have RC airplanes if I join the Jesuits?"
- Played guitar at Mass.
- The scholastics looked happy as they returned to their residence at the end of the day.
- I fell in love with the Society: "If I was ever so crazy as to want to be a priest, I would want to be a Jesuit." Phil Pfaff, Gerry Aman, Paul Nochelski, Gerry McIntyre, Paul Naumann, Rico Raulli. I saw Naumann or Raulli take final vows.
Boston College (1970-1973)
First year (1970-71)
Converting to Catholicism (Fall, 1970)
- The guru & The Void.
- Learning to pray, however badly (!).
- Daily Mass, Burke House Mass--lots of new friends.
- Jim's challenge: God or pleasure (sex, drugs, music).
- Questioned three times in December: "Do you want to be a priest?" Peggy: "If God wants you to be a priest, He will make you happy."
Baptized in the Holy Spirit (Spring, 1971)
- The stupid book.
- Dr. Kreeft's class. Met Peggy as we left the building. 13 hours of nonstop talking about GOD! It was a Monday--ended up at Burke House with Nick Covino and Dave Gill.
- Life in the Spirit Seminar at the Cenacle. Russ Kirk, Russ Surveyor, Judy Thibault, Mal Billa; Tommy Dilorenzo.
- Pam helped me to find 2 Corinthians 12:9-10: "My grace is at its best in your weakness. ... When I am weak, then I am strong."
The Lost and Found (Summer, 1971)
- Sunshine and the Jesus Freaks in Orchard Park.
- Documents of Vatican II.
- "He is starting his own church. I could do the same thing myself!"
- Arguments with Dad: "Do you want to be a professional?"
- August 20, 1971: First letter to the provincial. "Three weeks or three years."
Second Year (1971-1972)
- Cleveland Circle Christian Community.
- Completed application process; delayed entrance until after graduation.
- Learned (slowly) how to talk about sports and weather instead of Pentecostalism.
Third Year (1972-1973)
- Marian House: Dan, Tony, Dave; our daily recitation of our covenant, morning prayer.
- October 13, 1972: I thought the end of the world was going to begin that night. My fallback date was November 13. I guess I was wrong.
First year (1973-1974)
- August 27, 1973, St. Andrew's Hall, LeMoyne College, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Fall: courses at LeMoyne and in the house. Don Hinfey: synoptic gospels (!).
- Spring: two courses at S.U. Andy Brady's course on Ignatian spirituality.
- John Fernan, soup kitchen, Catholic Workers.
- United Farm Workers all year and in the summer time.
Second year (1974-1975)
- Calvary Hospital.
- Long Retreat. Cornwall on Hudson.
- Summer: Puerto Rico with Pete McKilligan (RIP) and George Simon.
Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y.
- "Love necessity."
Regis High School, Manhattan, N.Y.
Seminary Theology (1978-1982)
Regis College, Toronto, Ontario
Ph.D. Studies (1982-1991)
The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
LeMoyne College (1988-1990)
- Rejection hurts.
Canisius College (1990-present)
- Mission: to preach Jesus and love my neighbor for the greater glory of God.
Praying to persevere for my whole life
- Definitely not a given in today's society!