Year of the Priest
19 June 2009 to 19 June 2010.
- 1 Dates
- 2 Themes for the Year of the Priesthood
- 2.1 Priesthood of the laity.
- 2.2 Ministerial priesthood.
- 3 Links
- "It will be inaugurated by the Holy Father on the 19th June, the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests."
- August 4 is the 150th anniversary of the death of St. John Vianney.
Themes for the Year of the Priesthood
Priesthood of the laity.
Through Him, with Him, in Him
Giving God our hearts during the Mass
Because of the change to the vernacular, catechists (in general) have stopped teaching people how to pray and meditate during the Mass. I learned the parts of the Mass by the time I was in fourth or fifth grade. I put Greg Widger to sleep one night telling him about the structure of the Mass.
Commentary on the Mass: we need to teach people anew how to pray and meditate during the Mass--how to exercise the priesthood of the faithful by offering themselves in union with the self-sacrifice of Jesus.
God will not be outdone in generosity
The more we give of ourselves in the Mass, the more we will receive God's blessings from it.
GIGO: Garbage in, garbage out. Goodness in, goodness out.
Reparation for the sins of priests (the Judas Factor)
Judas was the first of many brothers.
In our day, the sins of priests and religious is a grave scandal that has injured multitudes.
* The victims of the priests. * The priests themselves. * Others whom the priests have scandalized:
- The faithful.
- Unbelievers whose hearts are hardened against the gospel message because of the infidelities of the evangelists. Why should anyone believe the gospel when those who are charged to carry it are themselves so notoriously unconverted?
We need to use the Forgiveness Prayer
* God * Ourselves * People familiar to us * Strangers
How many times do we have to forgive the priests who serve us? "Not seven times. Seventy times seven times" (???).