- Can. 1183
- §1. When it concerns funerals, catechumens must be counted among the Christian faithful.
- §2. The local ordinary can permit children whom the parents intended to baptize but who died before baptism to be given ecclesiastical funerals.
- §3. In the prudent judgment of the local ordinary, ecclesiastical funerals can be granted to baptized persons who are enrolled in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community unless their intention is evidently to the contrary and provided that their own minister is not available.
- Can. 1184
- §1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:
- notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;
- those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;
- other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.
- §2. If any doubt occurs, the local ordinary is to be consulted, and his judgment must be followed.
- Can. 1185
- Any funeral Mass must also be denied a person who is excluded from ecclesiastical funerals.