This page originated from the chart, "Derivation of Protestant Denominations," in Catholicism: The Faith of our Fathers by Albert J. Nevins (Huntington: Our Sunday Visitor, 1995). I've added dates to it and rearranged some of the lines of descent. I have a simpler version of the table in "Varieties of non-Catholic Christianity."
I plan to add the Eastern Orthodox Churches in a later version as well as to start organizing the material chronologically.
- 1 Lutheranism (1517-1524)
- 2 Anglican (1534)
- 2.1 Methodist (1739)
- 2.1.1 English Methodist or Wesleyan (~1791)
- 2.1.2 American Methodist (Methodist Episcopal Church; 1784)
- 184.108.40.206 Free Methodist Church (1860)
- 220.127.116.11 Reformed Methodist (1914)
- 18.104.22.168 African Methodist Episcopal Zion
- 22.214.171.124 Union African
- 126.96.36.199 Protestant Methodist
- 188.8.131.52 African Methodist Episcopal Church
- 184.108.40.206 Wesleyan Connection
- 220.127.116.11 Pentecostal or Assembly of God
- 18.104.22.168.1 Revival Union
- 22.214.171.124.2 First Century Pentecostal
- 126.96.36.199.3 Evangelist Revival
- 188.8.131.52.4 Christian Decision
- 184.108.40.206.5 Missionary Revival
- 220.127.116.11.6 Free Pentecostal
- 18.104.22.168.7 Independent Pentecostal
- 22.214.171.124.8 Pentecostal Holiness
- 126.96.36.199.9 Pentecostal Assembly
- 188.8.131.52.10 French-Swiss Pentecostal
- 184.108.40.206.11 Gospel Mission
- 220.127.116.11.12 Bethesda
- 18.104.22.168.13 Friends of Revival
- 22.214.171.124.14 Pentecostal Alliance
- 126.96.36.199.15 Independent Pentecostal
- 188.8.131.52.16 Apostolic Church
- 184.108.40.206.17 United Pentecostal
- 220.127.116.11.18 Calvary Pentecostal
- 18.104.22.168.19 Voice of Healing
- 22.214.171.124.20 Assembly of Christian Evangel.
- 126.96.36.199 Methodist Episcopal
- 2.2 English Baptist (1609)
- 2.3 American Baptist
- 2.3.1 Seventh Day Adventists
- 2.3.2 Disciples of Christ (1832)
- 2.3.3 Independent Baptists
- 2.3.4 Free Will Baptists
- 2.3.5 Primitive Baptists
- 2.3.6 Evangelical Baptists
- 2.4 Apostolic or Irvingites
- 2.5 Plymouth Brethren
- 2.6 Puritans
- 2.7 Protestant Episcopal
- 2.8 Quakers
- 2.9 Congregational
- 2.1 Methodist (1739)
- 3 Calvinism (1534)
- 4 Zwinglianism (1560s)
- 5 Small Church
- 6 Old Catholic Church (1853)
- 7 Worldwide Communion of Catholic Apostolic National Churches (1945)
- 8 Gallican Catholic
- 9 French Catholic
- 10 Primitive Catholic
- 11 Polish National
- 12 Lefebvreites (1988)
- 13 Christian Science (1879)
- 14 Mormon (1831)
- 15 We Are Church (1997)
- 16 Links
- Influenced John Wesley.
Moravian Church (1722)
Schwarzenau Brethren (1708)
- Schwarzenau Brethren.
- A.k.a. Dunkers, Dunkards, or Tunkers.
German Baptist (1708)
- German Baptist.: "German Baptists are not to be confused with Primitive, Separate, Southern, Particular, and all other mainline Baptist denominations who, although generally unified on rudimentary doctrines such as baptism, would have conflicting views in other areas, such as non-resistance, etc. In addition, German Baptists are not to be confused with a recent, small, renewal movement of "Plain," "Covered" Baptists, who, for all intents and purposes, have comparable beliefs and practice of the historic German Baptists for the most part (albeit in wide variance), but are of different origins. The German Baptists and subsequent groups with the name "Brethren" are not to be confused with various other similar denominations such as the Plymouth Brethren, their respective variants, and the Stone-Campbell Movement, etc. See Brethren for more information."
German Baptist can refer to any one of the following:
- German Baptist Brethren, the American name of the Schwarzenau Brethren and several groups associated with them:
- Old German Baptist Brethren
- Old Order German Baptist Brethren
- Old German Baptist Brethren, New Conference
- Dunkard Brethren
- Church of the Brethren
- The Brethren Church
- Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches
- Conservative Grace Brethren Churches, International
- Church of God (New Dunkers)
- Brethren Reformed Church
English Methodist or Wesleyan (~1791)
Calvinist Methodist (1743)
Methodist New Connection (1797)
Primitive Methodist (1810)
I can't identify this denomination.
Salvation Army (1865)
American Methodist (Methodist Episcopal Church; 1784)
Free Methodist Church (1860)
Reformed Methodist (1914)
African Methodist Episcopal Zion
African Union Methodist Episcopal
African Methodist Episcopal Church
Independent African Methodist Episcopal
Pentecostal or Assembly of God
First Century Pentecostal
Friends of Revival
Voice of Healing
Assembly of Christian Evangel.
Colored Methodist Episcopal Church
English Baptist (1609)
The ancestry of the English Baptists has to include the continental Anabaptists, but the group from which the English seceded was the Church of England. This is only one of a multitude of such simplifications introduced by using headlines to denote lines of descent.
Seventh Day Adventists
Church of God
Life and Advent
Jehovah's Witnesses (1872)
Friends of Man
Disciples of Christ (1832)
Free Will Baptists
Apostolic or Irvingites
New Neo-Apostolic Church
- Huldrych Zwingli.
- Theology of Huldrych Zwingli.
- Reaction to Anabaptism. Defended validity of infant baptism.
I can't find a denomination by this name.
Old Catholic Church (1853)
Worldwide Communion of Catholic Apostolic National Churches (1945)
- Worldwide Communion of Catholic Apostolic National Churches.
- Permits divorce and allows priests to marry.
- 16 member churches.
Christian Science (1879)
New Christian Science
Free Christian Science
Reformed Christian Science
We Are Church (1997)
- We Are Church (USA): "A Part of the International Movembent (sic) We Are Church (IMWAC)."
- International Movement We Are Church (IMWAC).