"By the mystery of this water and wine may we come to share in the divinity of Christ who humbled himself to share in our humanity."
- Through these, he has bestowed on us the precious and very great promises, so that through them you may come to share in the divine nature, after escaping from the corruption that is in the world because of evil desire.
- The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature": "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."
- 2 Pt 1:4.
- St. Irenaeus, Adv. haeres. 3, 19, 1: PG 7/1, 939.
- St. Athanasius, De inc. 54, 3: PG 25, 192B.
- St. Thomas Aquinas, Opusc. 57, 1-4.