I ask my students to develop titles that point to their own personal insight and that do not simply repeat or paraphrase the essay assignment.
The purpose of this page is to collect a few examples of actual student titles that will show what I mean.
Confucianism vs. Eastern Religions
- The essay assignment (with one sentence highlighted in bold)
- Use material from the Analects of Confucius and from Judging Religions Justly, show how a Confucian would judge the essential ideals of the other three main Eastern religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism).
- This is a formal essay, not a reaction paper or a creative writing paper. Write about the four religions and the topic in the third person (he, she, it, they); do not write about yourself or about the process of writing the essay. Be sure to give your essay a title that calls attention to the central theme of the paper--your own personal judgment on what the readings say about these four religions.
- The essay is about the religions, not about you--but the essay will express your understanding and judgment of the readings.
- Use many quotations & paraphrases from both sources. Provide page references both for quotations and for paraphrases. This is how you demonstrate that you have done the required reading.
- Repetitions of the topic
- A Confucian Perspective on Middle Eastern religions
- The "Middle East" is that part of the East which is close to the West (Europe). The "Middle Eastern" religions are in fact the three Western religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The "Eastern religions" in the assignment, as shown above, are Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism. Those are "Far Eastern" from the standpoint of the West.
- Confucians Realize How They Compare
- Looking at Eastern Religions as a Confucian
- Confucian View of the Right Way
- A Confucian Reflection of Other Eastern religions
- Understanding the Differences in Eastern religions
- The Analyzation of Eastern Religions from a Confucian perspective
- An Evaluation of the Eastern Religions from the Standpoint of Confucianism
- Confucianism Compared to The Other Main Eastern European Religions
- "Eastern Europe" is Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Albania, etc. Hinduism and Buddhism are from India, the Asian sub-continent, and Taoism is from China, on the Asian mainland.
- Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism
- Comparing Confucianism
- Confucianism and the Other Eastern Religions
- Confucianism -- Great Differences with the Other Three Main Religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism
- Confucian and Eastern Religions: Different is Better
- Confucianism in the Three Main Eastern Religions
- The Way of Confucius
- Confucius' Views on Eastern Religions
- Confucianism: The Outsider of the Eastern Religions
- Some semblance of an idea
- Confucians Hate All Eastern Religions
- The Simple Life
- Sticking to What Can Be Put into Words
- The Balance of Morality, Structure, and Happiness
- Almost an idea
- Why Confucius' Idea of Restoring Harmonious Social Order Clashes with Other Eastern Religions
- This does take a view--that Confucianism is quite different from the other Eastern religions. That is good. But it does not give any clues about what the answer is. Why do the ideals of Confucius clash with the ideals of the other religions? That is a good question! Think of a good answer, and PUT THE ANSWER IN THE TITLE!
- "Focusing on the Here and Now Blocks Concern for There and Then."
- "Peace Now; Enlightenment Later"